“Popcorn lung” – sounds yummy!
The CDC became aware several years ago of an emerging hazard to workers in microwave popcorn factories – the butter additives (diacetyl) cause severe lung damage to the workers. Until now, this problem has been confined to those who work in the factories. Those of us who shovel mouthfuls of the delicious snack while watching DVDs were perfectly safe, because we aren’t exposed to enough of it to cause the illness (bronchiolitis obliterans).
Or so we thought. Now a guy from Denver with a two-bag-a-day habit is sueing a popcorn manufacturer because he has acquired this rare illness, presumably from the popcorn.
While lawsuits similar to this generally make me think “it’s your own fault, fatty,” this one tends to make think that the manufacturers might bear some burden of responsibility since it is known that the chemical they put in there can cause this disease when exposure is high.